Freight brokering is the transportation intermediary between the person with the goods to ship, and the freight service that transports the goods. Digital freight brokering is the integration of digital platforms that enhance the freight brokering process and allow for the shipper, the carrier, and the on-the-ground transportation services to have a full end-to-end overview of the entire supply chain process.
What Is A Digital Freight Broker?
A digital freight broker is a digital platform or tool that matches shippers to transportation providers. The individual or company that ships the goods can be easily matched to the appropriate transportation units needed to ensure that the transportation of goods operates smoothly across the supply chain.
What Are The Benefits Of A Digital Freight Broker?
A digital freight broker saves time and money for all parties in the supply chain by streamlining the procurement process.
- Shippers will not need an expensive long term contract with a transport business
- The digital freight broker will help them locate nearby transport services
- Once the shipper and the transport service match, a contract for that delivery is arranged, and the supply chain continues
- Large shipping services can also get better value for money over time
- Smaller companies can make the most of flexible shipping to compete with bigger businesses
- The shipper won’t have to worry about their shipment not being picked up
The Transport Business
- Truck drivers can manage freight opportunities based on real-time availability
- Freight brokers may also suggest the best reloads dependent on their current load
- Contracts can be managed on a shipment-by-shipment basis, giving flexibility to the transportation provider
- Truck drivers have more autonomy over their workload and schedule
- Digital technology optimizes their delivery routes and maximizes utilization
The General Benefits Of Freight Brokering
Saves You Money & Time
Everyone involved in digital freight brokering will save time and money by using the platform. The shipper will quickly find a suitable carrier for them, avoiding costly fees. The truck driver will
be able to accept the load dependent on their availability, with optimized delivery routes making the most of their hours of service.
Minimizes The Risk Of Just-In-Time Supply Chains
The global pandemic has had a significant impact on just-in-time supply chains. Our over reliance on just-in-time supply chains has led almost 40% of manufacturers to require alternative solutions to their current supplier model. With digital freight brokerage, you can effectively get in touch with alternative solutions without being worried about a break in the chain.
Reduces The Need For Additional Employees
In 2021, statistics revealed that over 80,000 truck drivers were required to alleviate supply chain disruption. With digital freight brokerage combining route and load optimization, transportation companies don’t need to worry about hiring as many additional employees as their existing team has a perfectly organized route and full truck.
Utilizes Digital Records
With a digital freight broker, paperwork is reduced in exchange for online shipping records. Once the shipper has filled out the delivery required, all related documentation and records are retained on the same system. This is also beneficial for the truck drivers who can manage their route, freight documents and payment status right from the platform.
Digital Freight Brokering - Integrations by Socket
At Metafora, we offer business consulting on digital freight brokering services and also offer an integrations platform, Socket. Socket connects shippers, transport logics, carriers, brokers, and tech providers, for bespoke integration with digital freight brokering services. What makes us unique is that we don’t just give you a platform; we connect you with tech providers that can help you upgrade your existing business with the systems it needs to succeed.
Transportation & Logistics Consulting
We also offer transportation and logistics consulting to help you identify where digital freight brokering can enhance your current business. We use big data analytics and visualization to get to the heart of your core issues and successes. When you work with us, you’ll obtain complete insight into how you can improve your transportation or logistics business with digital technologies.
- - - - - - -
If you want to find out more about how digital freight services can help you, Metafora can help. Contact us today to find out more about our consulting services!